Changing domain name - what are the practical steps involved [duplicate]

Changing domain name - what are the practical steps involved [duplicate] - If a page has internal and external outgoing links to redirecting URLs, it’s returning 3xx (301, 302, etc.) HTTP status codes standing for redirection. This issue means that the page does not exist on a permanent or temporary basis. It appears on most of the popular web browsers, usually caused by a misconfigured website. However, there are some steps you can take to ensure the issue isn’t on your side. You can find more details about redirecting URLs by reading the Google Search Central overview. In this article, we’ll go over how you can fix the Changing domain name - what are the practical steps involved [duplicate] error on your web browser. Problem :







Possible Duplicate:

How do I rename a domain and preserve PageRank?






I launched a website a couple of years ago, bright eyed and bushy tailed, with dreams of conquering the world. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. Now, that I am a bit older and wiser, I have spent some money on branding and creating more quality content etc, I am re-branding and relaunching the site with a new domain name.



Although the traffic on the old site is laughable (i.e. non-existent), there are a few pages of good information on there and I don't want to lose any "juice" those pages may have gained because web crawlers have been seeing it for a few years now.



OK, the upshot of all that is this: I want to change my domain name from example.com to example.org. I am maintaining the same friendly urls I had before, only the domain name part of the url will change, so that any traffic coming to the old page will be forwarded/redirected? to the new page seamlessly.



How do I go about achieving this (i.e. what are the steps I need to carry out, and to minimize any "disruption" to any credibility the existing site has with Googlebot etc?



I am running Apache 2.x on a headless Linux (Ubuntu) server.


Solution :

Just make sure that example.com redirects to example.org, Apache can be rather easily configured to do this, for example using the following configuration:



<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName example.com
Redirect permanent / http://example.org/
</VirtualHost>

We hope that this article has helped you resolve the domains, apache, redirects error in your web browsers. Enjoy browsing the internet uninterrupted!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redirected urls show in serp, with the original permalink but with the title and meta of the target page

How can I redirect everything but the index as 410?

How do I redirect traffic only if being accessed from a specific port?